HP printers are renowned for streamlining the printing tasks of people everywhere. But when this printer cannot communicate with your computer or laptop, its status is regarded as offline. HP printer offline is a recurring problem that HP users face ever so often. Be it Windows 7, 8, 10, or Mac, this error seems to plague all individuals. But you don’t need to think that you cannot bring your device to online status. There are specific troubleshooting techniques that will help you with this purpose. Keep reading this article to find more about the causes and measures you can implement.
What Causes the HP Printer Offline Problem?
When the printer faces communication issues, its status becomes offline. In this case, it cannot receive printing tasks. You may find that even after giving new commands, the printer does not process them. In such a situation, it’s normal to wonder why is my HP printer offline. Given below are the chief reasons that may lead your printer to show an offline status.
- Jammed paper
- Issues with connection or cables can result in offline status.
- The user has accidentally set their HP printer to an offline mode.
- The firmware lacks critical updates.
- The user has not updated the drivers for their printing device.
- The user has not chosen their HP printer as the default one.
Different Ways to Resolve the HP Printer Offline Issue
Now that you know the probable causes for this issue, you can learn about the various things you can do to resolve it. Try out the different techniques and find a suitable HP printer offline fix for your device.
Ensure that you have not selected the ‘Use Printer Offline Mode.’
If you have accidentally selected the Use printer in offline mode, you’ll find your printer going offline. So, you need to ensure that this option isn’t selected on your device. If you have selected it, you can reactivate it by going through the steps below.
- Navigate to the ‘Start‘ menu and tap on ‘Settings.’
- Now, tap on ‘Devices‘ and go to ‘Printer and Scanners.’
- From the given list of printers, choose and right-tap on your HP printer.
- Now, untick the ‘Use Printer Offline’ option from the menu. Your printing device will return to online mode.
Make sure that your HP printer is set as default.
If you repeatedly find that your HP printer is offline, you need to see whether it is set as the default printer. You can set it as default by following the list of instructions below.
- Tap on ‘Windows‘ and input ‘Run.’ Next, in the dialog box, input ‘Control Panel’ and hit ‘OK.’
- Tap on the option of ‘Device and Printer.’ You’ll view your HP printer listed there. If you see that there is a green checkmark on your printer, it implies that it’s set as default.
- If there isn’t a green checkmark, then right-tap on it and click ‘Set as a default printer.’
- After this, your printer will be set as default as the offline problem will disappear.
Check your HP printer driver and update it.
If you have a corrupted or outdated HP driver, you’ll find your HP printer says offline. In this case, you need to update your driver or reinstall it on your Windows. Follow these steps for it.
- On the Windows search, locate ‘Device Manager.’ Tap on it.
- Next, extend the section where it reads ‘Printers.’
- In this expanded section, find the model number of your HP printer and right-click on it. Then tap on ‘Update Driver.’
- After that, hit the option of ‘Search automatically‘ and wait for some time till the HP printer drivers update. After the drivers get updated, restart your computer.
- If you desire to reinstall your printer driver, you can do so easily. navigate to the ‘Control Panel‘ and tap ‘Remove Programs.’ Uninstall your current HP printer driver. After that, you can download the driver from the official website of HP and install it on your computer.
When you adhere to the troubleshooting instructions given above, you will not face the issue of an HP printer going offline in your operating system.
Configure the print spooler settings
Those who complain that my HP printer is offline should check their print spooler settings. The offline message can show when the spooler is stopped. To resolve this issue, carry out the steps mentioned below.
- Launch the ‘Run‘ dialog box. Input Services.msc’ there and tap ‘OK.’
- Search for the Print Spooler option from the listed items you see.
- When you find it, right-tap on it and choose ‘Stop‘ to stop the print spooler services.
- Now, from the ‘Windows File Explorer,’ tap on the address bar. Input C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printer and then tap ‘OK.’
- Next, delete every file from the printer folder for clearing the printing queue.
- Now, return to ‘Print Spooler‘ and right-tap on it. Choose the option of ‘Start‘ to resume the print spooler service.
- Finally, restart your system and your printing device. See whether the problem is resolved or not.
Inspect the wire connection.
Another thing you can do on finding that your HP printer is offline on Windows 10 is to check the connection. An improper connection can cause this problem. Follow the steps below to check the wire connection.
- See whether both the ends of the USB cable are correctly connected to your system and the printer. In case of a wireless connection, ensure that the router and printer have compatible connectivity.
- Another thing to check is whether the power cable is intact and is properly connected between the power socket and the printer.
Check that you have configured the IP address properly to resolve the issue.
A typical situation that peoples face relates to their HP printer continuously going offline. It happens due to problems with its Wi-Fi connectivity. Another cause for this problem is the IP address is not configured correctly. If the IP address is not configured appropriately, you’ll find an error message popping up saying that your printer is offline. Follow these steps to resolve the problem.
- Launch the screen of HP configuration.
- Tap on the ‘Networking‘ tab from ‘Settings.’
- Choose the option of ‘IP address‘ from the drop-down that appears.
- Tap the ‘annual setting‘ option. After that, input the correct IP address. By following these steps, you’ll prevent the error that arises because of an incorrect IP address.
Inspect ink cartridge and paper jam problems
It is also an effective HP printer offline fix wherein you can check any issues with the ink cartridges. Apart from that, you should also get rid of any paper jam problems. To check for it, your HP printer should be operating. When it is switched on, check that there are no cables that are plugged in loosely. Also, check that the paper tray is fully loaded with the appropriate paper.
After you do this, assess the different components of your HP printer device and find whether there is any jammed paper in them. When you do it, you can assess the levels of ink in the cartridge of your printer. Follow these stepwise instructions.
- Switch on your HP printer and check that it is properly plugged.
- Next, check for various loose cables. Reconnect them properly so as to benefit from good connectivity.
- After that, check that your printer has the correct stock of papers in its tray. If papers are less, add more.
- Peek inside the HP printer and detect any paper jam. If you find any paper jams, clear them.
- Next, open your printer and inspect the ink cartridge levels. You can also check the software of the HP printer to know about low ink warnings. Hit ‘OK‘ to dismiss the warning and allow your printer to come back online.
- Apart from this, ensure that the system you have is accessing your HP printer on the same network as is the printer. It will fix the printer showing the offline issue.
You may also like: Printer Is Offline: How To Bring It Back Online
Now, whenever you find the HP printer offline, you know how to bring it back online. Remember always update the system settings and printer driver to prevent the future occurrence of this error. If you find any issues even after implementing these measures, do not hesitate in seeking professional HP printer support services. The experts will diagnose and rectify all your printer problems efficiently.